The Smart Living Room, ICTI’s home technology R&D Incubator, is an interactive intelligent environment dealing with ubiquity, awareness, intelligence and natural interaction issues.
One of the main challenges of the Smart Living Room is to contribute to the design and the development of smart everyday technologies that are sensitive and responsive to the presence of people. Smart environments’ project aims at designing and developing new technologies for human well-being, making it possible for people to interact with their environment in a seamless, trustworthy and natural manner. Objects of our everyday life (such as a table, a mirror or a simple cup) are transformed into interactive surfaces, allowing to access multimedia information as well as to control common electric devices.
The Smart Living Room (room number D00.09 et EIA-FR) project combines and integrates the results achieved within the framework of several research projects:
- MEMODULES project: intelligent and communicating objects allowing accessing and manipulating digital content.
- Inter-Face project: interactive surfaces.
- HUMAVOX project: voice recognition and synthesis.
- Aphrodite-Glance project: interactive painting capable of reproducing facial human expressions.
- VICI project: a bridge between physical and digital world.
- 6th sense project: wearable augmented reality system.
- Memoria-Mea project: Personal Information Management platform.
- SMAC project: Smart Multimedia Archive for Conferences.
- CALIMERA project: audiovisual Information management and retrieval
- IMINET project: in-home patient monitoring system.
Human well-being, human computer interaction, smart environments, personalization, context, everyday human activities, multimodal interaction, multimedia information, tangible interfaces, augmented reality, etc.
The importance of the creation of the Smart Living Room is threefold:
- Study and test contextualization and personalization issues of developed technologies in real-world settings as well as run user evaluations to assess both usability and usefulness of the developed technologies
- Provide students (PhD, master and bachelor) with an interactive laboratory where they can work on a cutting-edge technology as well as acquire and develop interdisciplinary skills.
- Integrate into a common framework all results achieved within the different projects in order to exploit and increase their value (and of course increase their visibility).